I decapped a TMS1100 MCU to figure out the ROM layout. I chose the MP3438A from the 1979 game Star Wars Electronic Battle Command since Kevtris has successfully dumped the ROM and there is a patent for the game which includes a (slightly different) ROM dump listing.
Thermal decapping with a blowtorch went extremely well. The die looked clean, with just a few spots. I put it in an ultrasonic cleaner with some alcohol, but forgot about it over dinner. After about 90 minutes of being in the alcohol, I pulled it out and looked at it under the 'scope and was upset to see that the top metal layer had oxidized from the water in the alcohol.
I figured that this meant that there wasn't a passivation layer, so it would be easy to remove the top metal layer. After taking a set of pics I put it in some warm HCl, but only about half the metal came off. Next I'll try a little HF and see if that helps.
Taking cues from the F8 PSU and the Sharp SM510 MCU, I guessed the bit layout within each byte correctly; a byte histogram of my file and Kevtris' file matched. It took me a little while longer to figure out the byte layout, though. Once I did, I compared my file to Kevtris' and found 32 1-bit errors, a 0.2% error rate. Once I clean off the rest of the metal, I bet I can fix those.
Here's a quickie composite from ICE, with a little geometry tune-up in PS.
Here's a close-up of the ROM array.
Here's an annotated close-up of the ROM array after an acid bath.
Here's a text file showing the mapping of the ROM bits to row/column of the ROM array picture.
Kevtris had also successfully dumped Microvision Vegas Slots, so I was going to hold onto it to play around with dumping the TMS1100 electronically, but Paul Robson is doing a Microvision RetroChallenge, so I decapped Vegas Slots to get a visual ROM dump. Here's an overlay showing the 1 bits. The vertical lines are ground and the horizontal line seperates chapter 1 from chapter 2. When these are rearranged according to the key above, the results are the same as the ROM dump.
Here's a complete die shot of Vegas Slots.
Here's a quickie die shot of Blockbuster.
Here's a quickie die shot of Bowling.
Here's a quickie die shot of Pinball.
I programmed a PIC microcontroller with a TMS-1100 emulator.
Kevtris TMS1000/1100 info and ROM dumps
Dan Boris's Microvision info and schematics
Info about the game
TI calculator simulator
back to chip decap page
back to Arcade Game Info page
back to Home page